Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Reason I Do it...

I don't plan on posting this often, but the job I do everyday is amazing, rewarding, inspiring, heartbreaking and sooo much more! So sometimes thoughts of past patients come into my mind and I am moved by all those emotions again and again. Tonight was one of those nights. As I sit here now I am looking down the barrel of 4 yes 4 12-Hour shifts in a row over this holiday weekend and I ponder the past 6 years and all the patients I have cared for.

A patient's wife brought me back to a place tonight that is very dear to me! Before I continue let me give you a little background... I went straight from HS to Rockford College. After 4 years I received a BSN. After graduation I had BIG dreams!!! I was gonna be a Trauma ICU nurse...And that is jus what I did! I got a job at a Level I Trauma Center ( for those of you that don't know what that is, it means we take the worst of the worst traumas). I was 22 years old and probably the most naive and "wet behind the ears" girl out there. But the first summer I was off my orientation, (ICU nurses have to do 6  months of precepted training called a residency) was the by far busiest time I can remember! We were very very short staffed and it seemed like the traumas just kept coming...I smile now as I think back on that summer! 

But I swear that first year, I cried more than any other time in my life. I was touched and forever changed by so many people. I hope that I in turn touched the lives of those I helped. But one patient will always be at the forefront of my mind. He changed my career and my life...Anytime anyone asks me about a touching story or my biggest success, he and his wife are my first thought...ALWAYS. I can never tell his story without goosebumps or tears. I won't even try...But check out the video and have some tissues ready!!!

Brian & Annie I am a changed Nurse and a better person because of the amazing opportunity to be a part of your recovery! I am so glad that I was a part of it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is an amazing story. How blessed you were to be a part of their recovery. Was that you in the pink flowered scrubs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yupo!!! That was me!!! It was an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete