Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Photography Rant Of The Day 1


I was trolling through Facebook when I came across a post that read-
"As a photographer, the term I've seen a LOT of these past few months is "fauxtographer." When I was in high school, I was on the swim team. At every single practice, my coach who I still love, DRILLED me like crazy. After EVERY workout, he'd give me something to concentrate on. I'd concentrate on that, and forget something else. Then he'd go back. It was a constant back and forth battle on my form in the water over a multitude of strokes. Was I a fauxswimmer? NO! I went on to set the school record, won counties, placed 2nd in conference, and swim regionals. I have a blog coming in 2012 about fauxtography. STOP USING IT & just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming swimming!" 

So I ( who was a swimmer in H/S myself) was naturally drawn to it and began reading the comments underneath it...And I was, to say the least, annoyed. I have always thought of photography as an art form and not a business. I have never claimed to  be a professional, ie my Facebook fan page is listed as "Artist." But I completely disagree with the way these so called professionals treat others who do photography. Everyone starts somewhere. And they were beginners once too. Who the heck do these people think they are?! Those jackasses that use descriptions for artists who are new to the wonderful world of photography such as "FAUXTOGRAPHERS" or saying stupid stuff like "Owning a DSLR doesn't make you a photographer...It makes you a DSLR owner." jus make them haters. And actually a photographer is exactly what it makes you. Anyone who takes pictures, regardless of the equipment or settings, ARE photographers. 
















Photography is an art form and a very wonderful tool for self expression. Just because someone doesn't choose to do things the same way you do it with their own art doesn't make them a fraud, it makes them unique and interesting. So my response to these Haters was-"Having a camera may not make someone a photographer in some people's mind, but it DOES make them an artist! Everyone starts somewhere and I wonder why this so called business has to be so cut throat." 

I went on to re-post a status I had made a few weeks ago which stated simply-
"Photography is my ART. It gives me a voice, and allows me to contribute to the world creatively. It is a love and a passion in my life. But it is NOT my profession. So for that reason, I can make ANY statement I want with my images! And the freedom to do so is intoxicating!!!" 
If this opinion makes me a "Fauxtographer" in some people's books...So be it! My opinion may ruffle a few feathers, and I may lose some fans for it, but it needed to be said. My real/true supporters & fans know me and seek me out for my unique vision and a true love for the art of photography.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete