Sunday, September 25, 2011

I've Crossed Over Into "YOOPER" Land...Eh?!

Getting my BSN was the best choice I have ever made for myself. It has opened so many doors for me. And this week is no exception. The organization I work for gave me an amazing opportunity. The smallest hospital within our system is the last and final place to go to the computerized charting system that my hospital has been using for almost 2 years. Our facility was the 1st in the group to use this computerized chart. So because I have been using this charting system for quite some time,  I was offered the opportunity to be extra computer support for the last hospital in our group of healthcare system when they switch over to the paperless charting we all know and love-EPIC!!!  Of course I jumped at the chance for a change of scenery and a new adventure. I am currently assisting Saint Francis Hospital in Escanaba, MI.

And for those of you that don't know that's the Upper Peninsula or U.P.! All I can say it WOW! This place is AMAZING! The 6 hour drive up here was gorgeous, especially because of the changing of the seasons! The leaves are changing and the air is crisp. It is definitely Fall up here! They are located about 5 steps from Little Bay de Noc...OMG is it beautiful!!!

But the best part of the trip so far has been learning about all the customs and awesomeness that only happens in the U.P. During the night shift I got to talking to all the hard core "Yoopers" that I was working with. And for anyone that doesn't know what a "Yooper" is...Let me enlighten you! A "Yooper" is a common term for residents of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is derived from the initials U.P. The U.P. stands for Upper Peninsula, as opposed to the lower peninsula of Michigan. It is not a derogatory term. It is used mainly by residents of lower Michigan and Wisconsin. And the fun part is "Yoopers" make fun of "Trolls." Trolls are from 'down below', referring to lower Michigan.
Yoopers come from above the bridge, referring to the Mackinac Bridge, which separates upper Michigan from lower Michigan. The awesomest part of the dope people I have met so far is the way the talk!!! It is sooo cute! Yoopers have a habit of saying 'youse guy's' or often putting 'eh' after a statement...like-"Hey, youse guys, we're proud to be Yoopers, eh?!" They also say things like "aboot" "yah."
 
It gets even better when they use terms like "Dere" (Pronounced "Dare". Takes the place of There), "HolyWah or HolyWow" (Depending on the surprise or excitement level.) "Deh" (Pronounced "Day"-Takes place of They). Yoopers usually love Ice Fishing, Drinking Beer, The Redwings, Lions, Tigers, & Pistons (Sometimes the Packers), Deer Camp, Deer Hunting, Drinking Beer, and Drinking Beer.  It's awesome! And they all giggle at my Mid-West accent, that I never knew I had!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment